Friday, February 16, 2007

project update

I spoke at the meeting last night (easy for you!) and passed around a clipboard with the herb garden plants 'wish list' on it.
My idea is that since it is a "backyard" demo garden, we should be able to trade plants over the fence with our neighbors, so to speak. That's how I got my herb garden started, and it's how gardeners through the ages have increased their plant collections.
Got a couple of folks to sign up to donate plants. (Five! Yes!) and two who will start some seeds!

Adding color with hardy blooming transplants will be helpful to the appearance of the garden.

I gave a short rundown of what I've done in for the project. Gave a little plug for Bluestones, I owe that nursery a debt of gratitude for the low prices and healthy plants I've purchased from their catalogue through the years.

I also approached Mike with an inquiry about his compost. He's promised to set some aside for me, yes! Now I just have to figure out how to get it over to the garden - Mike doesn't deliver. And I have to call ahead when we plan to pick it up, remember that.

Mike sells compost to locals at his place, on May 12 he'll be open for business, a quarter a bucket, or $25 a pickup load. He said last year he topdressed his piles with dehydrated pelletized chicken manure.
Sounds like just what I need.