Friday, March 23, 2007

Growing the list of volunteers

I sent a group e-mail to the Fall 2006 class of Master Gardener trainees who signed up to volunteer. Out of nine, two responded, but they sound like they are interested, which is encouraging.
And at the MG meeting another MG volunteered to help if I call her on Wednesdays. Yes!

Also, the Landscape chairperson offered to start seeds for the herb garden in an unused grow lab in the elementary school where he is already the grow lab 'shepherd'.
We (the grow lab chairperson, her family and I) met him there on Wednesday and we all planted several packets - signet marigold, kale, dill, german chamomile, summer savory, basil, silver dollar, painted daisy, and parsley.

Fun to work together, and I was taught a basic lesson on how to garden with a grow lab. I've grown under lights for years, but never had any experience with capillary matting. I got to bring home a used piece that was going to be thrown away, and I'm trying it at home.
You're never too old to pick up a good idea, to experiment, or to learn a new thing.