Friday, March 23, 2007

Sowing Seed Packets

At the MG meeting last Thursday, some of my volunteers chose seeds to take home and start, from my little stash of free seed packets from the big box in the MG office.

One volunteer took sweet marjoram seeds. I hope she's a good seed sower - marjoram is one of my favorite herbs, and it'll be a great addition to the culinary circle.

One volunteer is starting basil in four inch pots on her windowsill, something I've never had success with. She wants to try a cut and come method, then give me the pinched plants to grow on in the garden. She tells me she's done it before and she has faith she will succeed. Reminds me of Thoreau's faith in a seed.

I left Lavender 'Lady' seeds for one volunteer to pick up when she was in the office. 'Lady' made a big splash a few years ago, as the 'blooms the first year from seed!' variety of angustifolia lavender. Well, yes, you may get a bloom or two the first year. But even well-grown plants may need a couple years to get going. Also, keep in mind, seed grown lavenders are variable. Good thing this isn't a formal garden, or we'd be growing cuttings.